My Favourite Decor Books

Saturday 18 February 2012

A Pretty form of Crochet

It's weekend again...leisure time, a trip to our favourite place for  breakfast, great expresso and a flip through the newspapers while we're there and perhaps a walk along the beach front will be in order.  




(image Pinterest)




 I'm deviating a little from my usual interiors and flower posts to bring you



an unusual way of using crochet ...















So many of my fellow bloggers crochet such beautiful blankets and cushions, I thought I would share with you my crocheted towels, guest towels and face cloths.  Yes, indeed this is very unusual as I have never seen crochet on these items before, except on vintage tablecloths and pillow cases.  If any of you have seen such items, I'd love you to share it with me.







These were crocheted by my mother in law and were given to me as gift one Christmas.  Quite a labour of love I would say, to crochet this lovely trim for a towel!









The crochet is done with very fine wool or embroidery thread and then carefully sewn on the towel, along the top of the crochet and onto the sides of the towels leaving the bottom part of the crochet free, to allow for expansion when wet I suppose.    The bath towel has also been threaded with ribbon.  I've used this towel and it's twin bath towel several times and washed it in the washing machine and it comes out perfect every time.










It's a beautiful gift to receive, quite vintage looking and very unique and would look very much at home in the cottagey interiors we all seem to love...

I thought it might interest you and give you inspiration to use crochet on something that you might not have thought of before.



What do you think, cute or cringe worthy?

Happy Crocheting...


Sharon

xxx


7 comments:

  1. Beautiful Sharon...happy weekend...love ...xxx...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work is very beautiful, just the nice touch that makes something beautiful. I will take that walk along the beach front! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon,
    I think the crocheted lace on the towels and face cloths are beautiful. Not at all cringe worthy, but definitely unique. I haven't seen it before at least. I have one vintage dish towel that has crocheted lace on it, but that's all. How sweet that your m-i-l made it for you.
    Is the last photo of your house? If so, please show more, it's lovely!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy, no unfortunately the last photo of the little chair and table is from Pintinterest, it's very cute and cozy though...Have a lovely day.xx

      Delete
  4. wow..yes quite a labor of love...just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sharon,
    I am very glad that you found my blog, because I could find your blog, which is a wonderful source of inspiration. Also thank you for the compliments. Unfortunately,I have already sold the sideboard
    Sharon , your crocheted towels are so beautiful!!!
    Have a wonderful day !
    Kasia

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your lovely comments, so please go ahead and leave me a message